Sunday 13 April 2008

Cinderella

Guess who went to the Canadian Chamber of Commerce Ice ball at the Grand Hyatt hotel last night! Unfortunately it was not because I was asked by a fantastically wealthy man...no, it was because I volunteered. I didn't realise that I would be having to guard a watch all evening, but it was still a great night. The watch was a Breitling Superocean watch, not that I'd heard of them before, and very expensive- they normally cost around $20-30'000 HKD. The starting price for it on the silent auction though was $6'000- a bargain! There was a lot of interest in it and the final price was $19'000. So the guy only really saved $2'000. While I was standing there I heard a woman say to her husband (drooling over the watch), "But daaahling, you already have a Breitland!" Obviously not that one haha.
Other prizes on the silent auction included a 2 night stay, for 2 people, at the Four Seasons hotel in Thailand (starting bid $7'000, normal price per night is $22'000 with a min. stay of 7 nights); a wooden handbag (!) with leather interior for $4'000 but no one bid on that...for some reason...; signed memorabilia from film stars, sports stars and everyone else. There were a lot of prizes going. If I had the money I would have bid on VIP tickets to the Cirque de Solei at the Macau, plus ferry tickets over, and one night's stay at the Venetian. Starting bids on that were $3'000. A bargain I think! I don't know how much it went for, but I think maybe $11'000.
After the auction finished at 11:30 we were allowed to go and dance. Well I don't know if we were but I dragged Lynette and Jo anyway hehe. They had a band from the Cavern, a bar in LKF, who were great! They sang the YMCA and once asian guy stood there looking really confused at all these westerners waving there arms around. I danced with him for a bit at the end and I thought I heard him say he was in the CIA haha.
I'm sure I haven't done this night justice- Fanny (a friend of Lynette's) organised it and it must have been fantastic to have been a guest. There was live entertainment, a silent and live auction, a raffle with amazing prizes, great food (the volunteer's food wasn't so good hmpf), and the decorations we just fantastic! All the pictures are on Flickr.

No comments: