Friday 22 August 2008

Going home

...but not yet. Cyclone Nuri is currently headed straight towards Hong Kong and where I am staying (next to the airport at Chep Lap Kok) the winds are already around 76 km/hour. It means no flights until tomorrow. I was due to be taking off at 23:40 but who knows when I'll be flying now! It's all rather boring sitting inside with the wind and rain going... Can't go anywhere or see anyone. I've just been reading the Weather Observatory's website:
"1. Do not go outside. If you are reasonably protected, stay where you are and keep well away from all windows. Close all interior doors and make sure children are confined to the least exposed part of your home. On no account should you touch electric cables that have been blown loose.

2. If the eye of the typhoon passes directly over Hong Kong, there may be a temporary lull lasting from a few minutes to several hours. This will be followed by a sudden resumption of violent winds from a different direction. Remain where you are if protected and be prepared for destructive winds and the change in wind directions. Listen to broadcast warnings.

3. Since seas are very rough, you are advised to stay away from the shoreline and not to engage in water sports. "

All sounds very serious hehe. I'm glad I got to see Lauren, Marty and Sam yesterday. I spent the afternoon with Lauren and Marty down at Big Wave Bay and got to go to the beach with them (the waves really were big! I guess because of the typhoon starting). Their baby Zara is looking very big now! In the evening I went for dinner with Sam in Soho which was cool. Had a wonderful meal at Jaspas. I was meant to be going for a meal with my principal and all the teachers from school today but obviously I can't go now, and I'm really quite disappointed. It would have been nice to have seen them all again.

Hopefully I'll be seeing you all soon! Goodbye Hong Kong...

No comments: