Sunday 10 August 2008

Sydney 3

I'm backdating this as well... I've gotten really lazy updating this blog. That and I'm just having too much fun haha.

So on Wednesday I went to the lovely Chinese Gardens in Chinatown. It was all feng shui-y and pretty. Cost $6 to get in though which I thought was a bit of a rip off. But nevermind. After walking around the gardens I had lunch at a chinese cafe place (BBQ pork and rice...exactly like being back in HK except they understand what I say haha) and then headed back to the hostel for a bit.

In the evening I went to see Dralian by the Cirque Du Soleil! It was amazing! I saw acrobats spinning in suspended hoops, balancing on balls, jumping through hoops, a juggler, dancers... there's so much and I can't remember half. But it was great! And I had seats 4 rows from the front so I had the best view ever.

That isn't my picture btw, I got it from here. No cameras allowed in the show. Oh, they had some clowns as well which were hilarious. They kept picking on this guy making him do silly stuff, but then it turns out the guy is part of the show... And they keep popping up in funny places. I loved it!

On Thurrrsday I went to Hillsong's Sisterhood meeting. They start with breakfast and have a pamper area where you can get your nails or hair done, or have a massage, and while they do it they pray for you which is awesome. I met Celeste again and had a neck massage. Then they have worship and a small service with offering and a talk. For the talk they had 4 different women share something- so we had 4 different messages which was great! The women were all fantastic. I loved it!

Afterwards I went to the Opera House and did a quick tour. It was good but not as informative as I'd have liked. I liked hearing about the architect of the building who was kicked off a few years into the project, so he never got to see it finished. But now he's working with his son on revamping parts of the building. I'll get pics uploaded soon. I still had quite a bit of the afternoon left after that so I went for a walk through the botanical gardens, which was very peaceful, and then went to the Museum of Contemporary Arts. It's rubbish. I'm not an arts person at all but it was all pretentious poop. Won't be going there again... For dinner I went out with my room mate Suzanne to Darling Harbour. We found a nice little place which did cheap meals. I had really nice lamb pie, mash, peas and gravy. It was delicious!

This brings me to Friday. I had to get up extra early to get a tourbus at 7:15 to the Blue Mountains. It nearly didn't happen because there was a forecast of snow but the tour guy phoned and said it was still on. It was a great day to go in the end- sunny and clear. We drove all the way up the mountains and the views were amazing. It's the kind of scenery they'd use in a dinosaur film or something, just miles and miles and miles of forest and lots of mountains. When we got to Echo Point we hiked (or bush walked if your an Ozzy) down to the bottom. My legs were so tired after, I don't know how anyone can do it up again?! To get back up we had to go on the world's steepest railway. There's me thinking the tram up the Victoria Peak is steep but it's nothing compared to this one! I'll upload the video sometime. The tour took all day because we stopped for coffee, to see kangaroos, to do a smaller bushwalk, and for lunch. The final stop was at the Olympic Stadium on the way back, which was a bit boring to be honest. It's nothing special.

Saturday, my last day in Sydney, went really fast. In the morning I treated myself to a massage and pedicure at a spa before meeting a lovely woman named Lee (who I met at the Cirque Du Soleil). She took me to Featherdale farm which has all the Australian animals but you can feed and pet them. I got to stroke a koala! And a kangaroo! And I saw a crocodile, echidnas, tazmanian devils, peacocks (I know they're not Australian...), and loads of others. It was really fun! In the evening I went to another AFL football match- Sydney Swans vs. Fremantle Dockers- which was run by the hostel. I met a group of British people and ended up going out after with them. We had cocktails at the bar at the Opera House, then partied the night away. I had loads of fun but really regretted it the morning after when I had to do the flight to Brisbane hungover and even more sick with a cold.... eurgh.

So that's my stay in Sydney. I feel like I've hardly seen anything Sydney has to offer. Definitely got to come back another time haha.

No comments: