Monday 10 March 2008

Ni uh ma?

Are you hungry? We had a very quick mandarin tutorial at the mission trip training on Saturday. Mandarin is pretty easy. Loads easier than Cantonese. We also got to meet most the other people on the trip- there's 45 in total. We've been split into smaller cluster groups and I'm with Lauren (from my cell group), Alex (another older guy...30s? a teacher), and a girl called Esther (23, and goes to 180). They're all really nice and it's good to know that I'll have at least 3 other people i know. We'll be doing "angels and mortals" while we're there too but I have yet to find out who my mortal is. How it works is that I will have to give encouragement and stuff to my mortal throughtout the trip and at the end we all have to guess who our angels are. I can't believe that we're leaving next week! It's going so quick. I'm getting very excited now. I just a bit nervous about the showers and toilets. But Jo keeps reminding me we're not going for comfort...and I know... I'm just not keen on using a squatty toilet.

Got to school to get through before we leave though. This week the vocab is letter, stamp and postman. This is quite a fun lesson- I've written a letter and got a big envelope and I make a postbox out of a chair, and give one of the kids a bag so they can be a postman. I then get them to roleplay writing a letter, posting the letter, and delivering the letter. I can't think of a song to go with the lesson though except postman pat. Grr! I'm trying to face out row, row too because they've started to get carried away with the screaming. In my nightmare class (Class 1a first thing on a Monday and Wednesday morning- my afternoon class are now quite good and I've grown fond of them) one of the girls kept asking to sing "cookie, cookie" and I was really confused. "How does cookie, cookie go Candice? If you sing it then we can do it." I thought maybe it was a song they learnt last year or for a performance. Well today it twigged- she means the "hokie cokie"! She's been asking for it for weeks!

Oh, I'll be putting pics on
flickr of a protest the domestic helpers were staging on Sunday about pay. They are really badly treated and only get paid a little more than me for doing 18 hour days. They work 6 days a week and some are made to sleep on the kitchen floor, and there's a high rate of abuse. It's awful. And sometimes they get really nasty, bratty kids to look after.

No comments: