Thursday 6 September 2007

First Lesson

I just did my first lesson alone! How did it go? Hmm...it could have been worse. I only had a group of 6 which was good. But I rushed through everything and didn't really deliver it in a logical order so I was left filling in the gaps. Will definitely watch Ms. Man very closely next week to see how she does it. I started with the song "Hello Teacher" and gave them bells and most of them sang along. Then I did the alphabet song with all the actions which they liked- especially when I did it really fast! Then I asked them their names. Bad idea! One of the kids decided to tell me their name was "count-to-ten" and the rest of the kids copied. I can't believe 4 year olds were playing me up! Luckily the teacher came and told me their real names. After that I showed them a card with "F' on and they recognised it straight away. Then I showed them a card with "Friend" and told them this was the word Friend and it began with an F. Then I asked them if they had any friends...apparently not. Well one girl started talking to me in Cantonese so yeah...didn't understand. I read them a story about Rusty the dog, and got them to make the animal noises which was OK but then I gave them little cut-out cards with the animals on and they started getting silly. Panicked a bit then so went back to the other picture cards I'd taken up. They all knew what gender they were, and could read "school" and "teacher." Just as I was really starting to get stuck Ms. Man came in to teach the other half of the class, so I did the song again and then left. 25 mins is a really long time when you're blagging your way through!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you think. You seemed to do a lot with them in the time you had. Going to 'Let's Go' (the mother & toddler group) in an hour. I'm leading it. Scruffy the Dog puppet is going to introduce your parents as his new friends.
Hope you are having a good week. Nearly the weekend. The youth are taking the service this Sunday morning.
It is lunchtime here! Hope you have a good evening. love Anne xx :o)

Tim said...

25 minutes blagging? That's nothing, i blag for entire terms! You'll soon learn...

Nah, seriously, sounds like you did great - packed an awful lot in, and my students never respond well to making animal noises.

SERIOUSLY, you did great, don't be too hard on yourself and you'll get more & more confident each time :) x