Wednesday 21 May 2008

Crybaby

I've made another kid cry today...seems to be happening a lot lately! I have a Naughty Chair at the front of the class with me and it's mostly just a threat- the children hate being made to sit there. The first time I made a boy cry was because he was turning around repeatedly and playing with toys on a shelf behind him, I told him to pay attention like 10 times, and when he didn't I told him to sit in the Naughty Chair. But he wouldn't move. I told him quite a few times and I was getting really, really annoyed. Still wouldn't go and sit there. So I made him stand up and put his chair next to the Naughty Chair and told him to choose which one. And then he cried... haha. I did feel really guilty after.

Today I was finishing the lesson by doing the hokey cokey. Instead of running into the middle, that would be a nightmare, we all put our hands in the middle together and then lift them up again. It's much more fun that it sounds! We were doing that anyway and one boy, G, (who is such a spoilt brat, so naughty and manipulative) decided to slap my hand. Ooo he was in trouble then! I told him that was not a good thing to do and that he had to go and sit in the Naughty Chair for hitting me. Of course, he just stood there and refused to budge. I told him again, and then the class teacher saw and she told him... so he went and sat down and then burst into tears. Bless him. I just found it funny though- he knew he shouldn't have hit me. After we finished the song I asked him to say sorry " sowwy mi junny" and told him he could go and sit back in his seat. But he said no. So he sat there while we sang another song, still crying.

Oh, I think my star pupil in that class is interpreting what I'm saying to some of the slower children. I was explaining to 2 children how to race some "dragon boats" (toilet roll tubes on string- decorated like dragon boats of course) and they weren't really understanding, and I was showing them how to hold the string tight, and I realised that M was telling them how to do it in cantonese. And I've seen him do it before when I ask a question they don't understand... Now that I've noticed I bet he's been doing it for a while. Hmm...

No comments: