Sunday 4 May 2008

Wow

I've been having so much fun!

On Thursday (May Day) I went for dinner with Sam Ko, Bomi and JP at a very nice Thai place, somewhere in Tsim Sha Tsui. I met Bomi briefly at the last 180 and she is the nicest person ever! So easy to get along with. We then met up with a guy called Nick and did some window shopping- Bomi needed some new jeans. Apparently it is impossible to buy good jeans in Hong Kong, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that! I recently had my Mum post me some jeans I ordered from Dorothy Perkins. After we browsed through some shops we headed to the harbour to watch the light show. It was great to finally see it- I've seen it from Hong Kong Island side but it's nothing compared to watching it from TST. They use lasers, spot lights, and the actual lights on the buildings. It's all set to music which you can vaguely here if you stand in the right place at the harbour. It's pretty impressive, although I did get bored after 10 mins of it. I then caught the Star Ferry with Bomi so I could catch my bus home.

Friday was an easy day at work- the Olypmic Torch was in Hong Kong so we had an Olympic themed day. They had a mini torch run through school! A child from each class had to run the torch to the next class- it was so fun! They were all chanting "Cheer for China!" (in cantonese) or "Go China!" would be a better translation. All the children and teachers wore red too and had sticks with the same slogan "Cheer for China" on. Ms Kong made me put one on- despite my protests at not being Chinese :p Throughout the morning they had class pictures taken in front of a big "Olympic torch" made from shiny paper on the wall of the hall. I had my picture taken with Ms Lee and Ms Kong's class. My favourite class by the way hehe. In the afternoon they did a similar thing with the afternoon classes, but instead of running round the school (because of the nursery children) they just passed it round the children, who were sat in a big circle. The K2's and K3's then ran around the school with it.

In the evening Jo and me babysat the gorgeous baby Zara. Lauren and Marty didn't need us to babysit but we wanted to because she's so adorable! They went to the cinema while we looked after her. She's only 6 months old and she's so well behaved, and gorgeous...everyone loves her! And she was so easy to look after. Seriously when she started getting a bit moany, we gave her a dummy and put her on her babymat. When we put her to bed at 7:30 she cried a little but once she had her dummy in, and her teddy, she was fine and settled down really quickly. We kept checking on her because we loooooove her and she's just too cute! Marty and Lauren came home around 10:30, and we were home by 12:30. About 10 minutes into the bus journey a man at the back of the bus was sick. Euuuuuurrrggh it was disgusting! And it was the second time in a week we had it happen! We moved upstairs to escape the stench, but we could still smell it. Not nice on an hour bus journey.

On Saturday morning I had to go in to work to help at the "Parents appreciation day" thing. I think it's Mothering Sunday here soon. Anyway, the children had all been working on dance routines, so I helped do kid's hair. You know when you're a kindergarten teacher when you can ignore a child crying for it's Mom. It sounds really mean but it's true. Two little girls from the nursery were bawling while the teachers were trying to get them ready. After an hour of doing hair, make-up and changing their clothes they were ready. The dance by my afternoon K1 class was so good! Here's a video:

After the performances (held in the church next door) I went back into the school. They had different activities in the classrooms so I spent a while watching the kids. It was really boring. In the hall they had a mini talent show, so I watched Ingrid and Candice dance. Ingrid sang "Pizza Hut" for me :) although her Mom had to really convince her to get up! She also sang "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean".

That night, after deliberating all afternoon, I went salsa dancing! I loooooove salsa dancing, it is so much fun! I couldn't convince anyone to go with me so I went on my own. I was really nervous but everything worked out well- I thought I was going to be late but the bus driver was driving really quickly, and I found a taxi driver who knew exactly where I needed to be, and when I got there the instructor hadn't even arrived! It was held in a bar and it was a nice small group who were mostly beginners. I think there were 12 of us including the instructor. When I did salsa classes back in the UK it was massive group of over 30 people, so it was a big difference! Everyone was really friendly- I met a great young couple called Jo and Allen, and we swapped numbers so Jo is going to give me a txt if she's going next week. After the class there is a "salsa party" at the bar so more experienced salsa dancers came and danced and we could practice ourselves. I danced with a kiwi guy who was really good, he was helping me with the turns. Then this Russian guy wanted to dance with me, which would have been ok if he actually had turned up to the lesson and tried to learn a bit of salsa. He was hopeless. Really, really bad! During the lesson you rotate partners so you never get stuck with one really bad person which is good of course. And also it means if you come alone, like me, you get to meet new people. It didn't cost too much either $150 (£10) and you have an hour lesson, 2 drinks, and then the after party which goes on all night I guess! I was home by 1am though.

Today I went to the 9:30am service which meant I had to be up at 7am. I didn't think I'd be able to do it after having a late night but as soon as my alarm went off I was wide awake. After the service I went for lunch with Lauren, Marty and baby Zara. We had a delicious brunch of Eggs Benendict and talked about my trip to Australia. They're going to put me in contact with people they know in the cities I'm visiting, and maybe even try and persuade them to put me up :p It will be really great to have people I can contact while I'm there. I've been busy booking flights and checking out hostels- only 78 days to go- and I'm getting very excited!
After lunch I met up with Jo (who I hadn't seen since Friday) and we went and watched Iron Man. I don't know if it's out in the UK yet but you HAVE TO SEE IT! I'm not an action movie fan at all but it is just soo good! Me and Jo both came out of the cinema saying "Wow...just wow...that was amazing!" I hadn't seen any trailers so I had no idea what to expect, but whatever I was expecting I was pleasantly and amazingly surprised! Go and see it!!

No comments: