Sunday 26 August 2007

Pigs Ears

Day 2 in Hong Kong: Shopping!!

Me and Jo caught a taxi down town to a big shopping mall after lunch today. 5 floors of heaven! We bought our first things from a shop called Wanko heehee! I bought this blue sack dress thing, and Jo bought a gorgeous green skirt. They have these tiny little shops in the mall which are packed full of all odd things. We bought a simcard too so we can txt each other really cheaply, and I can also phone home. Not that anyone answers when I do! We stopped for "lunch"(at 5pm) at a very nice restaurant and ate terraki beef, sun-dried octopus and chicken, and spicy shredded pork belly and ears. Yes- pigs ears! And Yes- they were gross. Too crunchy. And also I couldn't get the image of my dog chewing on an ear out of my head. The belly strips were really nice though. The meal came to $116 altogether which is £8!!! And our taxi ride cost us $20 each way- £1.50! The strangest thing is seeing everything in the supermarket labelled with $89.99 and $65, I did a double take when I saw the cost of milk! I don't know how much I spent altogether today but I bought a pair of 3/4 length jeans, underwear, a skirt and a big leather bag. I have my eye on a new mobile phone but it's over $2000. Maybe on pay-day! Or my Birthday (hint hint mom!).

Tomorrow the schools are having an Open Day kind of thing, so we've got to go and meet the parents. It'll be a chance to see the school and get familiar with the journey. I think they said my school was only one stop on the LRT (train). Jo has a longer journey by the sounds of it. I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow, maybe nervous is the wrong word. I'm anticipating it. Apprehensive! I have no idea what to expect! I'll keep you all updated of course.

I have uploaded a few photos to flickr- if you click on the pictures on the left it will take you to my main page. I woke up at 6am this morning and couldn't sleep so I took some pics of the view from my window. Enjoy! I've had to upgrade to a pro-account because i've used over half of my monthly limit already!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other than the food, it sounds okayish. I actually always thought everything costs a million and a half in hong kong.

Anonymous said...

Glad you arrived alright. Enjoy the adventure. All OK here in Countesthorpe. :o)

Alan said...

Enjoy all things new (but maybe not the food?!)

Alan said...

Still dizzy from looking at the view from your room!