Tuesday 8 January 2008

General Update

Since I've only finished talking about the Christmas holiday I should give you a biiiiig update on everything else I've been doing...but I honestly don't remember much. And it has nothing to do with alcohol. We spent a lot of time just relaxing around the house after we got back. I managed to take a trip to Kowloon and Mong Kok, and bought myself a really good external hard drive for my laptop.

For New Years Eve we went to the Vine for the worship service there. Loads of 180 people went, as well as everyone else from the church. We had food and drinks and mingled. In the service they got people from different countries to sing a song in their mother-tongue. The Philippinos sang a really nice song in Tagalog, the Sri Lankans sang pretty badly but one of the guys did a really funny dance, and the Togo boys used the african drums and did a great song. there was another group that were really bad but I don't remember where they're from. We had a great talk from a guy from Hillsong in Sydney. And then we did the countdown. Was really fun!

After the service a group of us went to the Flying Pan which is open 24 hours and serves fried breakfasts. It's my answer to the kebab shop at 3am hehe. Then some of us headed to Lan Kwai Fong to do some dancing and just have a bit of fun. As you can guess I spent most of New Years Day recovering... I also went to the cinema with Joel to see I Am Legend which is so good! I wanted to see it for my birthday, but because it was premiering we couldn't get in. Still, it was definitely worth the wait.

In the evening the peaks by our flat caught fire. It was a pretty awesome sight- the whole one side of the hill covered in flames. I don't know what caused it, think it's just a bush fire. It was burning for about 3 days though and people had to be rescued. I'll post pictures later.

Going back to school on Wednesday morning was so hard...I put off getting out of bed as long as I could. Luckily I didn't really have a proper lessons to teach, just revision, so I played pictionary with the kids. A really easy week teaching wise. I tried asking them about the presents they had for Christmas but they could only tell me in Cantonese so I gave up on that hehe. This week I'm teaching them about the seasons and it's going well. I'm going to play a dressing up game with them tomorrow- they have to put on the right clothes for the right season. Like hat, scarf, coat, tshirt, wellies, sunglasses. Should be fun!

Oh the weekend! On Friday night there was a house party at a friend's house in Hung Hom. We watched Prestige -which is so freaky- played poker (I cam second!), and all had a go on his PS3. I want one! They are so fun! And since everyone will have to buy a blu-ray DVD player anyway soon it's probably a good investment. It's really cheap over here too- only 170 GBP. And the games are great! I had another very late night. I went for lunch with Sam (guy who hosted the party) on Saturday, then went to 180 in the evening. After 180 I went bowling with Joel, Jules and Dan for Dan's 19th. I was doing really well until Dan got 2 strikes at the end and knocked me into 3rd place! Sunday I spent sleeping or eating or watching Nip/Tuck. We've finished series 3 now. I think we got through it in less than a week- it's so exciting! The whole Carver storyline was fantastic.

Yesterday after school I went for a meal at the Gold Coast with Jo, Mandy and Sandy. Mandy and Sandy work with Jo and it's Mandy's birthday on Wednesday so we went to celebrate. I had quite a nice meal, and we chatted in Pacific Coffee for a bit after too. Feels like I've been really busy lately! Ok, back to work I go...

1 comment:

Tim said...

Just read the last few posts, all caught up now! You do lead a busy life don't you? All sounds great, shame Cebu wasn't quite what you were expecting.

PS3 for £170? We truly are ripped off in Britain. But 360 and Wii are better :P