Sunday 27 July 2008

Melbourne Day 1

I'm backdating all of these since I was really lazy last week and didn't update... I'm so glad I've been keeping my own handwritten diary otherwise I would have forgotten most of it hehe.

Day 1
I landed at 5:30am today after a 3 hour flight. Well it was 3:30 in Perth but there's a 2 hour time difference so my body is probably really confused. I spent 4 hours sitting in the airport cafe reading and writing because Craig couldn't pick me up until 10:30. It went surprisingly quick. Craig is Marty's friend and he lives around 40 mins outside Melbourne. Sounds far but there's a direct train so it's quite good. The first this Craig did was take me on a tour by car through the city and to St Kilda before stopping at his house for a cup of tea. Theeeenn Craig took me down to Torquay and Anglesea which are coastside towns. The views of the sea and beaches are amazing.

We drove right round the coast (it's a big U shape). It eventually joins onto The Great Ocean Road (apparently the one isn't Perth isn't the real one) which goes all the way to Adelaide. On the way to Geelong we stopped at the Anglesea Golf Course and I saw kangaroos close up for the first time ever! I thought kangaroos were meant to be really dangerous so I really didn't want to get so close but apparently these ones were tame. Didn't quite trust Craig though haha. He kept shouting at me to get closer:

I was both nervous and freeeeezing in that picture! I was very wrong when I though Perth was cold haha. Apparently it had been dropping down to 5 degrees at night. Brrrrrr!

For dinner we ate with Craig's sister and her husband and her parents-in-law. The in-law's had just returned from a trip to the UK so we had lots to talk about. It's great to hear about England from a foreigner's point of view because you forget that we have amazing history and great things to see. Craig's sister has 2 boys and they are so sweet. I was playing Guess Who with the eldest, who is about 5, and then he wanted me to read him a bed time story. So I read him a story about a wombat looking for something... I don't know about him but I could have fallen asleep haha. I was very tired by that point. It felt so late at night, but when I did go to bed it was only 8:30pm! And I slept 11 hours straight!

No comments: