Friday 25 July 2008

Perth Day 4

Ooo I've been a busy bee these past couple days. On Wednesday I went into the city (without getting lost, yay!) and bought the little things I needed to pick up. I had lunch in a nice little cafe and browsed a book store before heading home in the rain.

On Thursday I met Nick, who is the godson of a friend of my colleague Pat, and he took me to see the Swan Bells in the city centre:

Then to King's Park:

And finally to Soretto Quay for a fantastic lunch. Nick is lovely and we had a nice relaxed lunch by the harbourside.

His friend Rhian met us there and after Rhian drove me along the Great Ocean Road. It was an amazing view- sun in the sky, turquoise sea, white sand beaches... So beautiful. Apparently it's there that you can see dolphins or whales or something. Anyway we stopped in the city centre and went to a cute little belgian chocolate shop. The owner emigrated here from Belgium over a decade ago and said he's never looked back. He told me that I should just do it, don't think about it, just do it. So far noone I've spoken to has said anything bad about emigrating...

In the evening Jacqui and Kevie took me to a nice pub for dinner. I ordered a chicken and chips meal and it was huuuuuuuge! Needless to say I didn't finish it. It was delicious though. I'm glad I've stayed with Jacqui because she is so lovely, and Kevie is adorable, and Jacqui's really filled me in on what it's like to emigrate and live here. I've really felt at home here.

Today, my last day in Perth, I met Jon and we went for fish and chips in Fremantle, then to a chocolate factory and finally wine tasting down by Margaret River. I'll write more about this later when I have the time and energy- in a couple of hours I'm flying across to Melbourne to spend a week there.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Excellent updates, as usual. 2 of my mates are in Oz at the moment, so..er...look out for them!

That guy in the photo - Nick - he looks just like the Sandman from Spiderman 3! when not in sandy form of course. Well, sort of...I need to get out more...

take care! T xxx