Sunday 20 July 2008

My last post from Hong Kong

I'm pretty sure this will be the last post I write in Hong Kong. Though maybe if I get bored at the airport I'll find something to write about... I'm nearly packed now. I have all the clothes I'm taking to Oz in a suitcase but I've not yet finished packing the box to ship home, or even started with the handluggage.

I've had a crazily busy week here. Monday was the last girl's group, Tuesday I went salsa dancing at Sugar. Wednesday I met my friend for a movie. Thursday I went to Olé, a spanish restaurant in Central, with my colleagues and had a very nice meal together.

Oh, Thursday was also my last day "teaching". I just used the lesson times to take pics of the kids hehe. In one of the lesson times I was trying to explain to the children that I won't be here next term when a BIG bug landed in the middle of the floor. Chaos ensues. Mostly because I sit there going "eurrgh! Don't kill it! Argh! DON'T KILL IT!" as all the kids rush forward to stomp on the poor thing. Poor bug was squashed by George. Mean boy. And then I had to wipe it up... yuck. I can't believe I reacted worse to a bug than to seeing a boy being sick into his food bowl though haha.

On Friday it was Parent's Day so all the parents were in school to hear how their kids were. It was a bit pointless me being there since all I did was watch Mock The Week on youtube and get pictures taken with some of the kids. I did have one parent ask me what English exams her 4 year old should be sitting... I was just a little stumped. Exams? At 4 years old? I think my reply was somewhat like "oh I don't know I'm not really a proper teacher..." Haha. I managed to blag it all year and then give it away with that. I'm not sure she was very impressed. I think the parents like to have their children sit exams so they can get into better primary schools. Still seems crazy though! The yi yi's (or Aunties) cooked us a really nice last lunch with desert and everything. Then there was a very long meeting in Cantonese which Cat half translated. Most of it was boring stuff for next year. They did thank me for my year here though and they bought me a gift (box of choccies). And the Principal offered me a job if I come back! Also, when I'm back in Hong Kong (20-22nd August) the principal is going to take all the teachers out for a meal and karaoke to which I'm invited! They're so lovely.

In the evening we went out for a meal, then for drinks, for Joel's birthday. I had a great time! Joel even got up on stage at the Cavern with one of the bands and sang a song. Saturday was spent recovering... After lunch we gave the flat a good clean so it's now sparkling! The yi yi's from school will come and give it an even better clean when we've left though.

As I've already written, Saturday evening was my last salsa lesson. I'm really going to miss everyone there. Murray, who hasn't been for a while, said I've massively improved and Joseph too said I'm soo much better. I still can't believe they made me dance in front of everyone- and with Anton too who is just unbelieveably good. Too good a dancer for me! He's going to be teaching salsa soon, which I'd go to if I was in Hong Kong. Grr!

That brings me to today. I had another lazy morning before making my way to Mong Kong Ladies' Market. It was not a good day to go shopping at an outdoor market- 31 degress and 80% humidity. Gah! And I was so, so tired. I was not in a bargaining mood but I was not paying $550 for 2 pairs of PJs!! I ended up paying $330 which is still a lot more than I would have paid if I wasn't melting and half asleep. I'll probably go again when I'm back in HK to buy more souvenirs. For dinner me and Jo went to the Spaghetti House. Can't believe that was the last meal we'll be having together. Can't believe tomorrow is the last time I'll see Jo for a looong time.

It's just starting to hit me that there's a lot of people I won't be seeing again, so far it's been "Bye... but I'll be back in a few weeks so we'll see each other then!" It's too hard to say goodbye properly. It was very sad to be saying goodbye to the kids at school because I probably won't see them again even if I come back to Hong Kong. I just had a really lovely phone call from Cora saying goodbye, and loads of wall posts and txts. Goodbye Hong Kong :(

No comments: