Monday 1 October 2007

Busy Busy

Wow what a weekend! We started the weekend off with a trip to the Ballet with Jules and Joel. We saw Cinderella which was good even if they did drag out the whole ballroom scene- everyone danced together, then the Ugly Sisters did a dance, then the Prince did a dance, then Cinderella alone, then Cinderella and the Prince danced together, then everyone together again...Just get on with it! The characters were great-the Ugly Sisters were really funny, and the little squirrels were so cute. I don't need to say they were all great at Ballet and it was a really good show.

Saturday was our trip to the Peak. We took a taxi from somewhere in the Mid-Levels to the Tram station (we were going to walk but it was baking hot and we got lost). It only cost $48 return (£3) and it included going upto the Sky Terrace where we got really great views. Also up the Peak is a Madam Tussaud's- we didn't go in because we wouldn't have known many of the "famous" waxworks. We had lunch in Bubba Gump's Shrimp Restaurant which was very, very yummy and quite reasonably priced too. We walked around all the souvenir shops and then caught the tram back down. The tram ride is a bit of an experience in itself especially on the way up! It goes up at a ridiculously steep angle but it's the stopping that really unnerves me. Going down wasn't too bad since the seats faced backwards and it didn't stop at all. When we got to the bottom about 5:3pm people were queuing round the block to go up!

Sunday was church day. We went to the 11:30am service and listened to a guy called David Wang do the talk. He worked for an organization called Asian Outreach which is Christian ministry in China. He's such a funny guy and he's got some great stories to tell. He co-wrote a book called Still Red about 3 persecuted Christians in China which me and Jo bought together. I not long ago finished Chasing The Dragon and I think Jo is half-way through reading it. Anyway, after the service we went along to a meal for newcomers with cell group leader Vinny, his wife and daughter and a couple of other regulars. Had a really nice time! We're going to try their cell group out on Thursday. After lunch Jo headed to H&M and I found my way to Mong Kok to meet Joel and Jules. I can't believe I did it by myself haha- I didn't pay attention to where we were walking on the way up so didn't think I'd be able to find my way back to the MTR station. Somehow I managed it :) I met J&J in a shopping Mall and we did a bit of shopping. There was some famous chinese singer up on the top level and the place was packed. It was a nightmare trying to get in and out the shops. After Mong Kok we went to a nice Thai place back in Yuen Long. Only cost us $60 for a good decent sized meal! We finished the night at New York's where I had the best Sex On The Beach I've ever had! The cocktail I mean :p The owner is really nice and used to have last year's gap group go too I think. They do really good food too but I haven't tried it yet.

Today was National Day...another bank holiday yay! We decided to go to Lamma Island and try the beaches there. Lamma is about half an hour away from Central and I think it is one of the biggest outlying islands. I could be wrong about that though! The ferry trip is very bumpy. I wouldn't recommend it if you get seasick however there is no other way of getting there. We landed in Sok Kwo Wan and had a meal on the pier there. Then we walked over to Lo So Shing beach. It's only small but it's got nice sand and the sea is clean. We took our swimsuits and had a swim in the lovely warm sea! We didn't spend too long on the beach though because it started to rain and we had to save our stuff. There were fireworks this evening in Central somewhere for National Day and they're meant to be really spectacular but it was half 6 when we got off the ferry (journey back was even worse than the one there) and they didn't start till 8ish so we went home. We've got school tomorrow so it wouldn't be a good idea to stay out late.

Speaking of school tomorrow- my lesson is meant to be about National Day and I have no idea what to do! Argh. 25 mins and all I've got is "I am English, you are Chinese- what are you? Chiiineeese!" Ohh I'll do the "Pizza Hut" song with them again, just so they don't forget it! I tried doing "Do your ears hang low..." with them but it didn't go down to well. I'll try again later in the year.

Bed time for me now methinks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

do they eat cats and dogs in china? I think eating defenseless pussies are cruel and vulgar!

(Quess who)