Monday 15 October 2007

Week "Lop"

Another quiet week. So quiet I'm having trouble thinking back to what we did. Hmm...We rented Nip/Tuck so we spent quite a bit of time getting through that. School was good last week- my lessons were on the body so nothing too out of my depth. I got feedback from my K1 lessons which was basically slow down and focus on the keywords. There were no criticisms just good advice. I went to see Joel on Wednesday and helped him do some prep work for his lessons- he had to cut up 100 sheets of keywords. Such monotonous work. Friday...Friday...Oh yeah, we couldn't really be bothered to do anything so we watched a lot of Nip/Tuck and also rented Anchorman. It's a great film- I never enjoyed it that much the first time but this time was different. Better company maybe hehe.


Saturday morning wasn't particularly exciting either. We went to the Doctor's to have a set of routine tests done. Then we went to Yuen Long to collect our ID cards- we are now official Hong Kong residents! After that we tried to do some shopping for our holiday but there's only winter stuff in the shops now. Poo. I'm going to get my Mom to post some of the summer clothes I left behind. The evening was a lot more interesting. We went to 180, the 18-30s Worship at church, and listened to a really good talk. They're doing a series called "Preparing For War" about Christian Armour- Saturday was the Breastplate of Righteousness. I still don't know what it means to be righteous though. I should look it up hehe. We got back at a ridiculous time and then got up early to be at church for 11:30am the next day. Another really good service and talk- this time about being a 21st century Christian.


After church we headed up to Lan Kwai Fong- the main purpose was to find a second-hand bookshop but we stumbled upon a carnival instead!

There were loads of stalls set up selling various things and people giving away free stuff. There were also live events in different places. We caught a live band playing:

They were singing "Wonderful World" in that clip. They were pretty good. After we walked around the carnival for a bit we went to look for more shops for clothes but came back empty handed. By this time it was time for the 4pm service back at The Vine so we headed up for that service for the "Worship Undone" service. 3 church services in 24 hours- not bad haha. I am really enjoying worshipping at The Vine, the services are great and the people are so friendly.

This brings me to today. A new week at school. I'm meant to be teaching about Chung Yeung- a festival where people traditionally went to give offerings at the graves of their ancestors. But after failing miserably to teach it I'm now doing Autumn. My lessons are still a little patchy but I'm not rushing them so much now. I'm really, really enjoying it too! I got to name a boy today- the children have a chinese name but they also then get an English name for school. This boys parents didn't know any English so they asked me to choose a name. So I called him Jim. A good, simple name that won't bring any ridicule. If you saw him you'd think he was the perfect Jim hehe. Honestly some children have really odd names like Cream, Olie (like Rolie Polie), Dicaprio (formerly Dick Ho), Mayto, Ringo (for a girl!), Genius, Charmie...the list goes on. Joel plays basketball with a guy called Chicken-baby. No kidding. What were his parents thinking?!

Enjoy the pictures on Flickr, I'm off to bed now.

No comments: