Tuesday 23 October 2007

Stanley by Jo

I'm reeaally sorry but I'm too lazy to write an entry myself on Stanley and Aberdeen so I've copied Jo's entry :p Cheers Jo!

"I didn't get up till late, but we still managed to squeeze in a big trip to Stanley, which is on the south coast of Hong Kong Island. The bus journey was nice, we got to see a bit more of the Island which was nice. We're only really familiar with Central. We drove past this huge cemetary it was really hilly, in the centre of the city, and concrete. Was quite a strange view. We drove through Repulse Bay which is the big area where Westerners live. Beautiful, but pricy. Stanley Bay was really nice. I wasn't really feeling very well this morning as I had a migraine yesterday, so didn't really eat much yesterday, so the heat today really got to me, so we ate dinner really early.Had a really nice pizza, very italian style. What was bizarre was that we didn't feel like we were in Hong Kong anymore. The area seemed very mediteranean. It was a shame that there were building works along the sea front, but it didn't spoil the view too much. I was really annoyed that, I'd remembered my camera, but hadn't charged it up. We went to Stanley market, which was different to Mong Kok market in that it was under shelter. A bit like the Souks in Marrakech, but with the shop keepers dragging you into their stalls. I bought a few more pressies, so i won't be disclosing what I bought.
We then went on to Aberdeen, we had planned on going to the floating restaurant, but we'd already eaten, so we decided to save that for another day. Was nice to see the boats though. We were hassled by an old woman wanting to sell us a boat trip, and she seriously wouldn't take no for an answer. I've never known anything like it. We said no, and then she followed us, and stood by us while we sat down, blatantly trying to stop us taking the rival boat trip. She gave us the worst looks when we kept saying no. Was quite funny, but annoying. I did feel bad as it's obviously her livelihood, but sometimes, they have to give up and try somebody else. What was nice was that a Scottish couple (yes, Scottish, I'm in Aberdeen and I meet Scots! The first I've met in HK) came back after walking past us, to save us, but we'd just managed to escape.
We didn't stay long in Aberdeen, we had to get back to Central for 180 service at the Vine which was really nice."

No comments: