Monday 4 February 2008

Day 1

What an exhausting day! As you can see we went down to Tsim Sha Tsui this afternoon and saw the famous Hong Kong skyline. It's a shame it wasn't as clear as yesterday, but I still think it's a great view.
In the morning we all went to a flower market. This is where all the lucky plants are sold ready for the New Year. There were a lot of orange trees being sold because I think this is where people tie the lai see (red packets). There were also beautiful orchids, and all sorts of colourful flowers.

After walking through the flower market we came to the bird market. Guess what we saw here... Cage upon cage of birds: big birds, little birds, song birds, pretty birds as well as all the wild sparrows flying around. Apparently they're really into their singing birds here and they treat them really well, but to be honest it didn't look that way. In one tiny cage there were all these tiny birds packed in. It was still interesting to see though.

After lunch we found our way to the Ladies' Market in Mong Kok. I've seen so many more souvenirs I want to take home with me. My parents and Katy bought some cute things, and had fun bargaining. OK I had fun bargaining! I love it hehe. Once we'd done there we went down to TST to see the view, and then walked up Nathan Road and saw all the shops there. It was so tiring-we ended up going back to the hotel and having a nap for a couple of hours! I then found a cheap chain restaurant called Cafe De Coral for dinner. I need to find a nice Chinese restaurant to take them which has an english menu. I know of the ones here in Tuen Mun, but not in Mong Kok.

So that was Day 1 for my parents. I left them after dinner with a guide book to do some of their own exploring. I went bowling with Ben, his flatmate and some of her friends for a bit, and then came straight home and uploaded all of today's pictures onto flickr. I am now going to go and sleep because tomorrow is going to be a big day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny
Glad everyone safely arrived and having a good time.
Seems strange to see pics of them in Hong Kong when we only saw them the other day here in Countesthorpe!
Hope you all have a great holiday together. Have fun.
:o)