Thursday 7 February 2008

Days 2 and 3

This is going to be a looooong post! I was so tired yesterday I went straight to bed when I got home. I'm even more tired tonight but I've been told I've got to post otherwise Mitch will kill me hehe.

Yesterday we had planned to go to the Peak. It was another grey day but I thought maybe it would clear and we'd have at least a misty view. We took the tram up which made me nervous again- why does it have to stop on the steepest park of the track?! When we got to the top we could not see a thing! All there was was mist. But at least we didn't pay extra for the Sky Terrace that time. My parents and Katy stocked up on souvenirs at the gift shops there and then we had lunch at Bubba Gump's. I had some really nice ribs, Katy had a massive burger and my parents had a cheesy rice and fish dish. Mmmmmm! So, even though they didn't get the amazing view I did, we still got a great lunch.

In the afternoon we took the tram to Causeway Bay. At Victoria Park there was a New Year's Fair and I thought it would be nice to look around. I have never seen so many inflatable things in all my life! Rats, liquor bottles, Forero Roche, fish, balloons, batons, bottoms...! We walked along two of the rows following the one way sign, which everyone else seemed to be ignoring, before going for a coffee. Dad then decided he wanted to get a picture of a market we'd seen on the tram earlier so we went to find the tram stop back. Which was quite a walk away. And then it was PACKED. So we missed 2 of the trams because there was no way we could fit. And then he decides "oh, let's just get the MTR." Ok...so I wasn't in a good mood and I snapped- "NO! You cannot change your mind! We are getting the tram now we've waited for one!" And then I realised how frustrating it must be bringing up children.

So we got the tram back- eventually- to Central. I like Central, this is where I go to church, go out drinking, and I can find my way around. I took everyone to the IFC shopping centre. It is very posh here. They have a Valentino and Stella McCartney, Armani, D&G, and Versace. They also have more reasonably priced shops...but I can still only afford to shop in them on payday. At the little stage area they have, in the middle of the mall, there was a very good band playing classical chinese instruments. We watched them for a little while. I really enjoyed it.

In the evening, after a little nap again, we went to check out the Temple Street Night Markets. In the guide book they sound really exciting- bustling market stalls with everything you could ever imagine, and a whole road full of street food vendors. In reality it's much more disappointing... There wasn't much variety on the stalls- handbags, childrens clothing, more everyday stuff- and no street food vendors anywhere. Still, now I've been I don't need to make a special trip down. I felt a bit bad that both the big things of the day were a let down. But luckily, I think today made up for it!

We all had a nice long lie-in. I don't know why I'm so tired but my Mom said she didn't sleep much and I don't think Katy did either. They then came up to Tuen Mun to see my town. We had another really delicious lunch- this time at a Taiwanese restaurant. Oh- before lunch in the mall we arrived just in time to see some lion dancers! It was so great! One of the lion dancers was up on a pole dancing to the drums. Talk about brave. There was also a dragon too which everyone was trying to touch. So cool! I'm so glad we got to see that!

On the way to the flat we stopped off at Ferry Pier, so I could show them the nice sea view. It doesn't look so good when the sky is grey, and it's cold. But at least now they have some familiarality with the places I'm talking about.

I showed them the flat, and I think they liked it. It's a bit basic obviously but it has everything we need. I did a tour of the little shopping centre downstairs too and bought some stamps so Mom can send some postcards now! I was going to take Katy to get her haircut (my treat) but they couldn't fit her in until 8pm.

It's a good job we didn't go for that appointment because we decided to go to the Peak again, to see the night time view. We took the bus to Central, and then got a taxi which cost less than £1! Transport is so cheap here! This time at the top of the Peak we checked out a few more of the shops and ended up buying a few more souvenirs. Once it was properly dark we went up on to the Sky Terrace. Well, Katy, Mom and me did. Dad stayed at the bottom and did a bit more window shopping. He missed a really amazing view. I really do love the view of Hong Kong. We got some really great pictures (up on flickr now) before i started to rain. I would have stayed up there to see the laser light show but it was too cold and wet, and Katy only had a T-shirt and light hoodie on. We had to queue for ages to get on the tram back down but today (unlike yesterday) we got a seat. Going down whilst standing up wasn't the most enjoyable ride.

Alas, then it was time to go home whereupon I spent 2 hours writing this blog post. Argh! And not even any pictures yet. Oh- Kung Hei Fat Choi!

No comments: