Saturday 9 February 2008

Day 6


Yay! Sunshine at last! Today we went to see the Buddha at Po Lin Monastery. It took us forever to get there- we decided to go by cable car via a newly built village called Ngong Ping. Unfortunately everyone else decided to go this way too! We queued for an hour to get on the cable cars, Jo and Theresa came later in the day and they queued for 2 and a half hours! The view from the cars was amazing though! And, amazingly Dad didn't panic one bit even though we could have been smashed to bits if the cable cars fell. Haha. I didn't tell him before we went on but the reason they closed before was because a car fell down- luckily with nobody inside!


It was a beautiful day- very sunny- but verrrry cold. I think they said it was about 3 degrees!! We got loads of good pictures. Which are up on flickr now. After we climbed to and from the Buddha we stopped for lunch. Nothing exciting today, just pasta from Euro Go Go. We also walked around some of the gift shops too, but they didn't have anything original.

I left Mum, Dad and Katy at the MTR station and decided to get a taxi back to the ferry pier. For some reason nobody understood where I wanted to go, even though Jo and me have done this several times. I finally got in a taxi and the driver said he knew where the ferry pier was. He starts driving and then gets me to speak to someone on the phone- he obviously didn't know where he was going so wanted someone to interpret- so I told them "Ferry to Tuen Mun. Ferry pier please" and they said OK and told that to the taxi driver. I'm sitting there perfectly happy when I notice he takes the wrong exit at the roundabout. Maybe he's going a different way? I wasn't concerned until he gets onto the motorway- the ferry pier is literally down the road not down the motorway. The meter is running of course and it's up to $45... I panic a bit now so I phone my friend Sam ("I don't know where he's going!! Help me!") and get him to speak to the taxi driver (in Cantonese). So now he knows where he is going. Apparently he thought I wanted to go to the ferry to Wan Chai! He turns around and I finally get to the ferry pier and he only goes and charges me $75 for what should have been a $20 journey and it wasn't even my fault! Grrr!!!

That evening I have dinner with Sam at a really cheap and cheerful place called "Relax For A While." I had very tasty roast pork and rice. Yum! I like having dinner with more local people cause they know all the good, cheap restaurants and stuff. And they can order and understand the waiters hehe. I took my parents to the same place yesterday and they liked it too! I did a bit of window shopping with Sam, then went home to bed. The End hehe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Hong Kong must be a really nice place to live. If you are interested in doing business in china please visit my blog on chinese business and culture experiences.