Tuesday 12 February 2008

Day 9

The last full day with my parents. Well...with my sister. Today Katy and I went to Ocean Park with Jo and Theresa. Ocean Park is a theme park here with animals as well as various rides and activities like go-karting. We all caught a coach from the West Rail station which was very efficient (and included in the ticket price).
Once we got there we headed straight to see the pandas. They were all asleep when we saw them, and they looked so cute! There's more on flickr of the others.

We hit some rides next. This was definitely not on a par with Alton Towers or any of the theme parks in Britain, you wouldn't come here especially for the rides. They were really old. Some of them were OK. And they are building loads of new ones, so maybe in a couple of years it'll be worth another visit. After lunch we saw the seals. They were adorable. We saw them being fed, and we could have fed them ourselves but we had to buy tickets from somewhere. We watched them for quite a while and there was this one seal who went and laid right next to another seal, it looked like they were cuddling. And they kept fighting over whose tail went on top!


We worked our way round the park going on rides and seeing the various creatures.




We had to queue for an hour to get onto the cable cars to get back to the coach. The park is built on two sides of a hill/peak thing joined by cable cars and I guess there's always a queue back but because we were there just before it closed we caught the crowds. Still we got back about 7ish.

We met my parents in Tuen Mun and I loaded them up with stuff to take home. We went for our last proper meal together. I wasn't going to go out at first, just get a takeaway, but it was closed. Instead we went to the Federal restaurant at Ferry Pier. This us a favourite of mine and Jo's- they do the best sweet and sour shrimp. I'm so glad I got to take my family there because it's a proper local restaurant and I'm sure they don't get many Westerners. We ordered sweet and sour shrimp, chicken and vegetables, and prok ribs in orange sauce. Yum, yum, yum! And for desert we were brought sweet red bean soup with tapioca. I actually liked this one, normally I can't stand the texture. Mum had fun trying to use the chopsticks too!

So that's the holiday. I met them at the airport the next day and we said our goodbyes again...and there were more tears. At least the next time I see them I'll be back home in Britain. I'm sure my parents will fill most of you in with other bits I haven't managed to write down, and show you all of their pictures and videos.

1 comment:

Maureenheb said...

Thanks for a fantastic holiday, Jenny. Seems such a long time ago now, but we have so many happy memories!